Local Investment Climate (LIC) sub-component, Business Sector Programme Support Phase (BSPS) IV, Tanzania
NIRAS is the Management Contractor (MC) of Local Investment Climate (LIC) sub-component, Business Sector Programme Support Phase (BSPS) IV, in Tanzania
Green Economy is a key element in the overall strategy of the BSPS IV to increase the efficiency and competitiveness by investments in sustainable growth solutions e.g. providing a solid base for growth and creating win-win solutions as in spending less on energy costs while not jeopardising the resources for the years to come. Potential infrastructure investments as well as upgrading initiatives of targeted business facilities, have significant potential to provide opportunities for green growth and employment. NIRAS work to:
- Advise and assist local government agencies in adopting environmental friendly approaches, e.g. demands for environmental assessment and mitigation measures in infrastructure investment projects.
- Prioritize maintenance and upgrading of existing infrastructure rather than constructing new, thereby putting less burden on natural resources.
- Propose (prioritize) working on reducing post-harvest losses.
- Promote interventions for increasing water use efficiency and waste management in processing facilities, collection centers and market places.
- Promote renewable energy solutions e.g. solar pump lift irrigation, energy efficient processing equipment, biogas powered cooling, alternative fuel solutions.
- Promote investment in efficient resource uses.
- Promote reduction of transport distances of voluminous crops/products through decentralized processing and value addition